A dental implant can change how you feel about your smile. At Mint Hill Dentistry, we want to help you feel proud of your smile and ready to show it off at any time! One procedure that can help some of our patients achieve their goals is a dental implant. It is one of the most permanent forms of restorative dentistry and can restore a single tooth or an entire set of teeth.
Many people have questions about implants as they are deciding what is right for them. To help in the process we have come up with five things you may not have know about dental implants.
- Dental implants have one of the highest success rates of any dental procedure with consistent results of 95 to 98 percent.
- Dental implants are not new, but have been around for over 30 years and have a proven track record supported by thousands of comprehensive studies.
- There is no such thing as being too old for an implant! Dental implants are commonly used in patients in there 80’s and 90’s to replace missing teeth or to help retain dentures. Age is only a number… the most important factor is the health of the patient, not their age.
- Dental Implants strengthen your jawbone by preventing bone loss. Once a tooth is lost, the bone in that area begins to “melt” away over time. By placing an implant you are preserving the bone, thereby maintaining the healthy shape and function of your mouth.
- Dental implants CANNOT get a cavity but they CAN get periodontal disease. The bacteria that cause tooth decay have little effect on implants and typically will not cause any complications. However, the bacteria that cause periodontal disease (bone loss around teeth) can also affect implants and cause peri-implantitis (bone loss around implants).
Remember all of us at Mint Hill Dentistry are here to answer any questions. We will be sure you are comfortable with your dental implant procedure! Give us a call today.