It may just be time for kids to be getting out of school, but it won’t be long before school sports practice start back up over the summer. There are many sports in which we recommend your child wear a mouthguard. The best mouthguard option for both protection of the teeth and for comfort is a custom-fitted guard made by your dentist. Our team at Mint Hill Dentistry is here to help you protect your children’s teeth and not to have to come see us for a broken tooth!
We know only a few sports mandate students wear a mouthguard, specifically football and field hockey, but they are also important to think about with other sports like soccer, basketball, wrestling or baseball. Some of you may be given tips or recommendations, but we want to provide expert information.
Three Mouthguard Options
- Stock Mouthguards – available anywhere, but the least protective
- Boil and Bite Mouthguards – easily available, but may not cover all teeth or be done properly. Often not very comfortable.
- Custom Made Mouthguards – created by an impression specifically for your child’s mouth. They have a perfect fit to the teeth and are made of a material that is comfortable but also is specifically designed to reduce both concussions and breaking of teeth.
Benefits of Custom Mouthguards
At our dental practice, we only recommend the custom versions. We do create them for you in our office, but the main reason is for your child’s safety. We have seen too many families come in for emergencies with a tooth loss, tooth fracture and even worse would be a jaw fracture. While we may not see you for a concussion, a properly fitted mouthguard can help prevent them when hit in the lower jawline.
While everyone thinks of major injuries there are other benefits. The top five reasons a custom one is best are:
- Guards more than teeth – can help with impact to the head
- Shields the gum and lips during a possible face injury
- Decrease risk of chipping or breaking a tooth
- Projects the jaw joint itself by helping to absorb and distribute impact to the face
- On a lighter note – we offer over 10 colors!
Questions? Contact Us.
If your child will be playing any of the sports mentioned above, please give us a call to schedule an appointment for a mouthguard. We want to ensure there is enough time before the sport begins to have a custom one made for your child!