At Mint Hill Dentistry, we have always strived to utilize the latest and best dental technology when treating our patient’s needs. We would like to introduce one of the newest pieces of technology, now available at our office.
Single Day Crowns with CEREC
CEREC is technology that allows our dentists to prepare a tooth for a crown, scan the tooth digitally and then make the crown in the office. This allows for the entire crown procedure to be completed in ONE VISIT.
We realize you may have some questions about this technology, so we will try to answer some of the common ones below:
What is a crown?
A crown is a tooth-shaped protective cap that restores a tooth’s shape, size, strength and appearance. It fully covers the visible portion of the tooth that lies at or above the gum line. A crown can salvage a tooth that may otherwise have to be removed and replaced. Some of the reasons that your dentist may recommend a crown are:
- A cracked or broken tooth
- A very large filling that needs to be replaced
- A weak tooth that is at risk for cracking or breaking
- An implant that is ready for the abutment and crown
- An anchor tooth that supports a bridge
Dental crowns are made from various materials, including all-metal, porcelain-fused-to-metal, all-ceramic or porcelain or resin. The material the crown is made of will dictate the length of time you may have to wait for it, whether or not you will need a temporary, as well as the cost. Your dentist will educate you about what your options are and what the best type of crown is for you. The new CEREC machine is often an excellent choice.
What are the advantages of CEREC?
- The procedure can usually be completed in one appointment instead of the traditional two appointments.
- Since the crown is done in one appointment, there is no temporary crown to wear while the final crown is made.
- The crown is durable and aesthetic. There is no metal in the crown at all, which means you will never see a “gray line” at the bottom of your crown.
- No Impressions… no “tray full of goo”!! CEREC uses a “digital impression” which involves an optical scanner attached to a “wand” that is used to take a high-resolution video-capture of the tooth in the mouth.
- You can watch your dentist design your crown digitally and then watch it being created in the office.
How new is this technology? Is it proven?
CEREC has been around for over 20 years and has excellent clinical research.
Can CEREC be used for every type of crown?
CEREC can be used for many crown procedures, but not all of them. Your dentist will recommend whether they think a CEREC crown is the correct option for you. Depending on many factors – your bite, tooth shade, smile line, etc. – a traditional crown may still be a better option.
We look forward to showing you our latest in technology next time you are at the office! If you have any questions before your next appointment or are interested in learning more about Single Day Crowns from CEREC, please give us a call.